Here are a few pictures from a previous challenge and the beginnings of the month’s challenge. First, the post it kid’s book turned out to be great fun. I’m leaving the cover off because it takes up space and I think it’s ugly, but I liked the opening page so here you go.
Now the next two are examples of how my poor, high-speed sketching skills influenced the story.
Not sure you can read the text, but my beautiful princess suddenly had incredibly large lips, and it was here that I found that much needed conflict that fuels stories. It unfortunately led to the development and demise of an evil witch of Mari’Kae who botched her makeover. The prince kills her for his princess. What a typical ‘guy’ trying to fix it with violence.
Here I discovered, at the hands of another poor illustration, that our hero rides a cow. Onward Bessie!
Of course, following strict fairy tail form, we have a happy ending though I neglected to write those famous “happily ever after” words. Our princess, disliking the proffered cure for her ailment (dragon snot for those who care to know) decides she likes her lips and so does the prince. This was far more fun than I expected and the interplay of illustration and story was a welcome experiment. It’s amazing to see all the places new ideas can come from!
Now as for the painting project, here is step 1 and step 2. Step 3 just left research mode (finding and downloading reference images) and is entering Step 4 – sketching stage which I’ll post later. It was a really great experience just dragging out the paints and getting started. New things were learned even with something as basic as this. And with that I bid you all farewell. Hope to hear from you regarding your own projects in the future. As always – have fun!